Our Green Ways…Where Enlightenment Thrives
How we are walking our talk, reducing our carbon footprint, and helping the planet in our everyday operations!
- Photovoltaic grid tie system: We sell electricity back to the grid. We may be the only off the grid manufacturing place in Pagosa Springs.
- We minimize our phantom loads by routing all computers through power strips and turning power strips off each night.
- Extra insulation has been installed on the shop ceiling: foam board with foil paper.
- Solar powered shop heater: hot air & antifreeze in a radiator. Cuts our heating bill from $300 to $160 using free energy!
- Solar powered forklift is a big deal in manufacturing, isn’t a wimpy one … it lifts heavy loads.
- We use high mpg vehicles when possible.
- Our domes are entirely solar powered by design, including, solar cooling fans, undersoil fans, solar water fountain, and passive solar water tank.
- Low impact/cost storage spaces.
- Cottage industry: lumber kits cut at home locations to reduce the size of the facility needed.
- Some employees bicycle to work.
- Carpooling by owners and employees as often as possible.
- The bulk of our promotional and instructional materials are handled electronically rather than paper copy.
- Employee planting beds provide “locally grown food”.
- Lunchroom has real dishes, cups, glasses and silverware to avoid use of paper plates, plastic silverware, etc.
- Lunchroom has a water filter on the tap to avoid the use of bottled water.
- Lunch provided one to two times a week, reduces employee expense and car use to go get lunch. Many ingredients for the lunch are from the domes.
- Salad greens grown in the on site domes are used for employee lunches.
- Composting our vegetable and plant waste on site.
- Feed the fish bugs and slugs.
- We use cloth hand towels as an option over paper towels.
- Office furniture is secondhand wherever possible, buy locally and reuse.
- Attended a recent Green Festival and instead of paper brochures, we handed out small pea seed packets with our website address.
- Recycling crates received for shipments going out and recycling crate materials in other construction projects.
- Recommending to customers potential uses for the crates we ship to them.
- We practice recycling (not offered on a residential basis in our town) on site.
- Two sizes of our Growing Domes® are available in recycled glazing option as offcuts are available.
- Brochures are printed on recycled paper.
- The printer bypass tray is filled with recycled paper at all times, for non customer documents.